Our speech and language therapists work with children who have difficulties with speech, language or communication, and eating, drinking or swallowing.
- Telephone number: 0208 825 8856
- Address: Carmelita House, 21-22 The Mall, Ealing , W5 2PJ
- Location: Carmelita House, Ealing
- Division: Women's and children's services
- General manager: Debbie Grey
About the service
Our speech and language therapists work with children who have difficulties with:
- speech, language or communication
- eating, drinking or swallowing
We aim to:
- prevent speech, language and communication difficulties arising
- provide parents and professionals who support your child with the information, skills and confidence to support your child’s communication.
- support children so that they can communicate to their full potential
- support children who have eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
Some of the ways we might assess or care for your child include:
- assessing your child's communication
- advising parents and professionals about your child’s communication
- assessing a child's ability to eat, drink and swallow. This might include a procedure called a videofleuroscopy, if your child needs this.
- providing therapy in schools, nurseries, children’s centers, clinics and children’s homes. We do this both for individual children and in groups.
- training parents and professionals, to give you the skills and confidence to help improve your child's communication.
Conditions we care for
We care for children with a range of difficulties in communicating, feeding and swallowing.
Children under five
We look after children under five who:
- are not using any words at 18 months old
- don't appear to understand what is being said to them by the time they are 18 months old
- are not joining words together by the time they are two and a half years old
- show signs of frustration when they try to tell you something
- have speech which is difficult to understand by the time they are three and a half years old
- have ongoing eating, drinking or swallowing difficulties
- have selective mutism
- have social communication difficulties
- have difficulties speaking fluently, such as a stammer.
Children over five
We look after children over the age of five who:
- have selective mutism
- have speech difficulties
- have difficulties speaking fluently, such as a stammer
- have voice disorders
- have social communication disorder
- have ongoing eating, drinking or swallowing difficulties.
Making a referral for a child under the age of five
We will accept referrals from any health or educational professional for children under five. Please speak to your Health Visitor, Community Nursery Nurse, Occupational Therapist or GP about making a referral.
A referral form called an Early Help Assessment Plan (EHAP) is used to make a referral for a child under five to our speech and language service in Ealing. For more information on EHAPs, please visit the Family Information Service website or call Ealing’s Family Information Service on 020 8825 5588.
Making a referral for a child over the age of five
If your child is at a school nursery or is of school age, they will be seen by a speech and language therapist who is attached to their school. The school must make the referral to us.
Making a referral for a child over the age of five who doesn't attend a mainstream school in Ealing
If your child is over the age of five but does not attend a mainstream school in Ealing, we will accept a referral from parents and carers, Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCO), and other healthcare professionals for issues including:
- difficulties concerning speech production
- social communication
- selective mutism
- voice disorders.
Making a referral for a child with dysphagia (feeding and swallowing difficulties)
We accept referrals for children with dysphagia from:
- tertiary centres
- Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCo)
To refer a child under the age of five, please complete the EHAP form.
To refer a child over the age of five, please complete the paediatric speech and language therapy form and post it to us at Carmelita House 21-22 The Mall, Ealing, W5 2PJ.