Ultra low emission zone (ULEZ)
The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) is designed to improve air quality in London.
ULEZ now covers the London area within the north and south circular roads.
If you’re driving within the zone, you must either:
- Check that your vehicle meets ULEZ emission standards or
- Pay a daily charge.
Paying the ULEZ charge
First, check your vehicle’s emission standards
Then if you need to, pay your ULEZ change online at tfl.gov.uk
You can call Transport for London on 0343 222 2222 if you need more information.
When you can reclaim your ULEZ charge
You can reclaim your ULEZ charge if you are attending a hospital appointment and:
- have a compromised immune system or
- need regular therapy or assessment or
- need recurrent surgical intervention and
- have been clinically assessed as too ill, weak or disabled to travel to an appointment on public transport.
Your hospital doctor or the healthcare professional who is seeing you will check whether you meet these criteria and are able to reclaim the charge.
You must reclaim your ULEZ charge within three months of your appointment.
What you'll need to reclaim your ULEZ costs
- your bank account details
- your vehicle registration number
- your ULEZ charge receipt number: you’ll get your receipt once you pay
- the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) charge claim form[pdf] 81KB (or you can pick one up at main reception)
How to reclaim your ULEZ charge
TfL recommend that you pay on the day you travel (not in advance), in case you have to cancel your journey for any reason. If you don’t pay the ULEZ charge, you may receive a penalty charge (PCN), which we can’t reimburse.
- Pay your ULEZ charge online.
- Keep your ULEZ charge receipt (or make a note of the receipt number)
- Ask for a ULEZ charge patient claim form at the hospital reception when you arrive for your appointment.
- Take your form and details with you to your appointment.
- Ask your doctor or the healthcare professional who is seeing you to complete section 3 on the form. Make sure the tick and sign the category of claim.
- Complete the rest of the form, using your ULEZ charge receipt and your bank account details. Make sure these details are accurate, as we’ll use them to repay you.
- Hand the form in to the hospital main reception on the ground floor.
- If you can’t complete the form at the hospital, you can take it home with you and email a scanned copy later.
Once you have submitted your completed claim form, LNWH will refund you using the bank account details you supplied in section 2.
Claiming for more than one appointment visit
We recommend reclaiming your ULEZ charges as quickly as possible after you have paid them. That’s because you can only claim back the charge within three months after the date of your appointment.
However, if you’re eligible, you can claim for up to five appointment visits at a time using one claim form.
Just complete the details as usual and list all the appointment dates for which you’re claiming in section 4.
Remember: for each appointment, you must be able to provide:
- your vehicle registration number
- your ULEZ charge receipt number.
Making a claim as a passenger
If you travelled as a passenger, you can still make a claim to have your ULEZ charge reimbursed if you meet the criteria.
Only one person per vehicle can make a claim.
Complete the claim form as usual, including:
- the vehicle registration number of the vehicle you travelled in
- the ULEZ charge receipt number for the journey.
Then submit it as you would usually do.