Our general surgery service provides a complete surgical gastroenterology service, including routine general surgery, specialist gastrointestinal surgery, and acute emergency surgery.
- Telephone number: 0208 235 4051
- Address: St Mark's Hospital, HA1 3UJ
- Location: Central Middlesex, Ealing, Northwick Park and St Mark's Hospitals
- Division: Surgery
- General manager: Will Bannister
About the service
Our colorectal surgical team is based at St Mark’s Hospital, which is the UK's leading specialist hospital for colorectal and intestinal disease.
We provide a complete surgical gastroenterology service, performing large numbers of operations for:
- routine general surgery
- specialist gastrointestinal surgery
- acute emergency surgery.
Our upper gastrointestinal and colorectal cancer team works closely with teams across north west London, including with regional units at St Mary’s and Hammersmith Hospitals. We also work closely with with a team of dedicated Macmillan cancer specialist nurses.
We have a comprehensive endoscopy service which offers both diagnostic and therapeutic upper gastrointestinal endoscopy.
Conditions we care for
At Central Middlesex, Northwick Park and St Mark's Hospitals
Our outpatient clinics include:
- weekly clinics for general and gastrointestinal surgery at Northwick Park Hospital
- specialist coloproctology and complex upper GI management clinics at St Mark's Hospital
- two week wait clinics for investigating suspected upper gastrointestinal and colorectal cancer.
Our inpatient surgery is performed at Central Middlesex and Northwick Park Hospitals, and includes most routine upper and lower gastrointestinal procedures, including laparoscopic surgery. Our team have particular expertise in:
- major colonic and small bowel resection for benign and malignant disease
- perianal procedures
- laparoscopic cholecystectomy and laproscopic exploration of bile ducts and anti-reflux surgery
- laparoscopic and open hernia repair of all types
- emergency gastrointestinal surgery.
We also provide daycase surgery at Central Middlesex Hospital, including:
- laparoscopic cholecystectomy (for which we also run the first one-stop cholecystectomy clinic in the UK)
- hernia surgery
- perianal procedures
- excision of lumps and bumps
- paediatric surgery.
At Ealing Hospital
Ealing Hospital has a very well established gastrointestinal service, which includes both upper gastrointestinal and colorectal surgery. The team offer a range of laparascopic operations, including:
- laparoscopic hernia repair
- laparoscopic cholecystectomy and bile duct exploration
- laparoscopic or open liver cyst de-roofing
- laparoscopic splenectomy
- laparoscopic fundoplication
- laparoscopic colonic resections including laparoscopic right hemicolectomy, lap anterior resections and lap AP resections.
We also provide emergency laparoscopic surgery, including:
- laparoscopic appendicectomy
- cholecystectomy (hot gall bladder service).
We also work closely with our gastroenterology team to treat you if you have inflammatory bowel disease
Where we provide your care
You can find us:
- at Central Middlesex Hospital: Gastroenterology and GI Surgery Centre, 1st floor
- at Ealing Hospital: main outpatients
- at Northwick Park and St Mark's Hospitals: main outpatients
We have an active teaching and training programme which attracts trainees from a wide geographical area, including overseas.
We have close research links with the Royal Free Hospital, and currently offer a part time MSc in evidence based surgery through these links with the Royal Free Hospital and University College London.