Our team of physiotherapists assess and care for children and young people in Ealing.
- Telephone number: 0208 825 8702
- Address: Ealing Service’s for Children with Additional Needs (ESCAN), Carmelita House, 21-22 The Mall, Ealing , W5 2PJ
- Location: Carmelita House, Ealing
- Division: Women's and children's services
- General manager: Debbie Grey
About the service
Our team of physiotherapists in Ealing assess and care for children who:
- long term conditions, physical disabilities and developmental problems (for children and young people who are between 0 and 18 years old, or up to 19 for children in special schools)
- musculoskeletal and orthopaedic conditions (for children and young people who are between 0 and 16 years old).
Our team have specialist skills as well as expert knowledge of child development and childhood disabilities.
Information about your care
Each child or young person is fully assessed by one of our physiotherapists at their first appointment and, together with you and your family, we will plan what to do next. This will depend on what your child needs.
Our team can help children who need physiotherapy support in several ways, such as:
- an exercise or physical/postural management program
- individual or group sessions with a physiotherapist or a physiotherapy assistant
- specialist equipment (such as orthotics, mobility aids, or postural management equipment)
- a review of your child's physiotherapy needs and program after an agreed period of time
- training parents, carers, or school staff to carry out exercise or physical/postural management programs, so that they can be performed as part of your child's daily routine when this is appropriate
- working with parents, teachers, learning support assistants, nurses and medical staff
- referring to other services that might help your child (such as a wheelchair service, podiatry, other therapy services like Occupational Therapy or Speech and Language Therapy).
You can read more about children's physiotherapy at the Association of Paediatric Chartered Physiotherapists.
Where we provide your care
We work right across Ealing in lots of different locations to best meet your child's needs, including in:
- children's centres
- special and mainstream schools
- your own home.
Our team are happy to offer training if you request it.
Training for referrers, on:
- how we deliver our service
- our referral guidelines and criteria
- offering you universal information that may be relevant to your patients (such as advice on flat feet and in-toeing for GPs)
Training for schools or nurseries, on:
- postural management
- making the principles of physical management a regular part of a child or young person’s day
- supporting a child or young person's gross motor skill development through universal activities
We can also offer training on specific conditions, or elements of physiotherapy intervention.
We accept referrals for children and young people who have an Ealing GP.
We accept referrals from:
- other healthcare professionals
- school teachers
- Special Educational Needs Coordinators.
Please send us your referral by email or post it to us at Carmelita House, 21-22 The Mall, Ealing, W5 2PJ.