Our speech and language therapists are specialists in assessing, diagnosing and treating you if you have a communication or swallowing disorder.
- Location: Brent, Ealing and Harrow
- Division: Integrated clinical services
- About the service
- Conditions we care for
- Care for inpatients
- Outpatient care
- Specialist services
- Useful resources
- Contact our service
About the service
Our adult speech and language therapy (SLT) service offers you:
- care in hospital
- care in community settings in Brent, Ealing and Harrow
- intermediate care.
Our speech and language therapists are specialists in assessing, diagnosing and treating you if you have a communication or oro-pharyngeal swallowing disorder.
We aim to give you the best possible function, independence and quality of life by providing you with treatment programmes, advice and education. We work directly with you, and with your carers and families as you need us to.
We also train other health professionals in screening for swallowing problems and in supporting you with communication and swallowing difficulties.
Conditions we care for
We offer you specialist assessment and treatment if you have problems with speech, language, voice, or swallowing, which result from:
- a cardio-vascular problem (such as a stroke)
- a degenerative neurological disorder
- a head injury
- a brain tumour
- head and neck cancer (including if you have had your voice box removed through a laryngectomy)
- other cancers
- respiratory conditions, including if you have a tracheostomy tube
- complications after surgery
- swallowing problems due to frailty
Care for inpatients
We provide you with care if you've been admitted to:
- Central Middlesex Hospital
- Ealing Hospital
- Northwick Park Hospital
- St. Mark's Hospital
- the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital.
We also offer rehabilitation services for you if you are staying at:
We provide services if you are visiting us as an outpatient at:
- Central Middlesex Hospital
- Northwick Park Hospital
- Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital
- Wembley Centre for Health and Care
- Clayponds Rehabilitation Hospital
- Ealing day treatment centre
- Ealing community team for people with Learning Disabilities.
We also provide outpatient care for community services, such as:
- Rehab and Reablement (Brent)
- STARRS (Harrow)
These community services support you in your own home, a nursing or residential home, and other community settings.
We also offer a number of specialist services, and you can read more about these below.
We provide a range of specialist services, including:
Videofluoroscopy: this means that we take a real-time x-ray of you swallowing so that we can assess your condition.
SLT voice clinic: we will see you in this clinic if you have a voice disorder. We use flexible nasendoscopy and rigid stroboscopy to look at your voice box (known as the larynx), so that we can provide you with more effective care, and help you understand your condition better.
Combined voice clinic: this clinic is led by one of our Ear, Nose, and Throat consultant surgeons and a specialist speech and language therapist. We use flexible nasendoscopy and rigid stroboscopy to diagnose your condition and provide you with effective care.
Cough reflex testing: for this test, we simulate you coughing. The strength of your cough tells us more about how you would react to food and drink entering your airway.
Surgical voice restoration: we see you for this service if you have had your voicebox removed (known as total laryngectomy). It's based at Northwick Park Hospital and includes:
- inserting and maintaining surgical voice prostheses
- helping to rehabilitate your sense of smell (known as olfactory rehabilitation)
- problem-solving for any issues that you have relating to voice production, your voice prosthesis, trans-oesophageal puncture, or stoma.
Fibre-optic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES): this is where we evaluate your swallowing using an endoscope. We provide this service at Central Middlesex and Northwick Park Hospitals.
If you have a problem with speech and language, or with swallowing, you may find the following organisations helpful:
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
- The Stroke Association
- Speakability: the charity for aphasia
- Communication Disability Network
- Connect Support Services for People with Stroke and Aphasia
- Stroke4Carers: support for carers of stroke sufferers
- Headway: head injuries charity
- Motor Neurone Disease Association
- Parkinson’s UK
- Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Cancer Research UK
- Macmillan cancer support
- National Association of Laryngectomy Clubs
- British Voice Association
Contact our service
Contact our main services
- Brent and Harrow speech and language therapy: 0208 869 2410
- Ealing speech and language therapy, via Ealing Hospital
Contact our services at other centres
- Ealing Hospital, for inpatients and voice outpatients
- Central Middlesex Hospital, for inpatients and voice outpatients: 0208 453 2262
- Northwick Park and St Mark's Hospitals, for inpatients, neurology outpatients, voice outpatients, home enteral nutrition service, short term acute reablement and rehabilitation service: 0208 869 2410
- Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, for inpatients and outpatients: 0208 909 5466
- Wembley Centre for Health and Care, for voice outpatients: via switchboard, on 0208 795 6000
- Ealing Day Treatment Centre: 0208 571 1143, extension 225
- Ealing Community Team for People with Learning Disabilities: 0208 566 2360
- Willesden Community Rehabilitation Hospital. for inpatients, outpatients, Rehab and Reablement
- Clayponds Rehabilitation Hospital:
- for inpatients and outpatients: 0208 232 3363, extension 3835
- for voice outpatients: 0208 967 5857
- for inpatients: 0208 232 3384
We accept outpatient referrals from GPs and consultants.
Please note that the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (RNOH) will only accept outpatient referrals from RNOH consultants.
To refer for one of our specialist services, please contact the speech and language therapy team at the relevant hospital.
Referring for voice disorders
Please note that we only accept referrals for people with voice disorders who have had an ENT diagnosis. If you are referring someone who has a voice disorder, please document this clearly in the referral and include a copy of the original ENT report where possible.
Other GP referrals will be triaged and may be forwarded to the appropriate community service.
Ealing outpatient and community referrals
Our outpatient and community services in Ealing will accept self-referrals.