The new Brent Integrated Diabetes Service (BIDS) was launched in October 2014 and strives to deliver high quality specialist diabetes care in the community and closer to the homes of patients.
The new diabetes service redesign provides the same level of specialist care, as can be expected from secondary care but closer to the homes of patients. This service will offer specialist diabetes clinics across all Brent localities and aims to support our 67 GP practices in providing enhanced diabetes care.
This service is run by the Brent Integrated Diabetes Team and works in partnership with Jeffrey Kelson Diabetes Centre at Central Middlesex hospital.
The BIDS service will continue to focus on Type 2 diabetes patients in primary and community setting using optimal use of resources and innovative models of care, which includes:
- Multidisciplinary diabetes clinics in the community
- In-practice joint consultations
- Diabetes virtual clinics
- Link diabetes nurse
- Direct email/telephone support for GPs, practice nurse, patients
- Group Insulin starts
- Enhanced specialist dietitian input
- Psychology support
- Additional diabetes education and self-management for on-going and newly diagnosed (DESMOND) educational classes
- Patient forum
The main focus of the new integrated diabetes service aims to:
- Strengthen and increase the overall management of diabetes
- Significantly improve health and reduce health inequalities in the Brent population we serve
- Deliver high quality diabetes services which are equally accessible.
This includes the diagnosis, treatment and education of patients and close working relationships with primary care in the building of capability and confidence in order to deliver first class diabetic care and the self-management of this condition.
DESMOND is a one day course, offered on days to suit you. Each course is attended by about 10-15 people with type 2 diabetes. The local venues for DESMOND in Brent are; Monks Park Primary Care Centre, Willesden Centre for Health and Care and Wembley Centre for Health and Care.
The diabetes specialist services are provided at Wembley and Willesden Centre for Health and Care. It has a single point of access based at Monks Park Primary Care Centre where all referrals are processed.
Access to the diabetes service is directly through GP referral and is available Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm.
For more information and advice please contact:
Central Middlesex Hospital
Tel: 020 8963 8804
Fax: 020 3908 9503
Email for referral: LNWH-tr.Diabetes-BCS@nhs.net
Office hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Our multi-disciplinary team:
- Consultant Diabetologist
- 2 x GPwSI
- 5 x Diabetes Specialist Link Nurses
- Diabetes Service Management Team
- Administration Team
Brent Integrated Diabetes Service (BIDS) information brochure
This brochure serves as a point of reference to enable everyone to use Brent Integrated Diabetes Service effectively.