Northwick Park Hospital is home to one of eight hyper acute stroke units (HASUs) in London. We have a unit with 50 beds across two wards which includes 6 hyper acute stroke beds and 34 stroke unit beds.
We provide 24/7 thrombolysis: this is a drug treatment which can be given within the first few hours after a stroke, and may dramatically reduce disability. We also provide a seven-day transient ischaemic attack (TIA) service. TIA causes symptoms similar to a stroke - but lasting only a short time.
The new stroke unit at Northwick Park Hospital means people in Harrow and Brent and outer North West London have a specialist centre of excellence on their doorstep.
The stroke unit is staffed by:
- The stroke unit provides patients with:
- 24/7 access to highly specialist dedicated stroke staff
- Direct admission to HASU beds which ensures that they are cared for by specialist staff from the minute they arrive
- Well coordinated multidisciplinary care on newly refurbished wards planned specifically for stroke patients
- Rehabilitation facilities, such as therapy gym, kitchen and bathroom
- 7-day TIA clinics giving specialist care and assessment to help prevent strokes
There is a 24/7 on-call rota for thrombolysis of consultant physicians, consultant radiologists, radiographers and stroke nurses.
- Three consultant stroke physicians
- Stroke-trained nurses
- Clinical Services Manager
- Stroke Coordinator
- Specialist stroke physiotherapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech and Language therapists
- Clinical psychologist
- Psychology assistant
- Ward clerks and admin support staff.
Early supported discharge pilot - Brent patients only
In September 2015 the early supported discharge (ESD) pilot was launched for Brent patients. The ESD service has been set up to help patients go home as soon as is clinically possible after a stroke. The service will provide all of the rehabilitation that patients would have received in hospital, in their own home. More information about this service can be found in this patient information sheet.
You can contact the service on: tel number – 020 8869 3572
The team operates seven days a week (excluding bank holidays): 8.30am-4.30pm.
Providing high quality, up-to-date stroke information for stroke patients, their families and carers.
Providing condition information on:
Different Strokes is a registered charity providing a unique, free service to younger stroke survivors throughout the United Kingdom.
British Association of Stroke Physicians
Advancing stroke medicine.