Formal complaints

If something has gone wrong during your care, you can submit a formal complaint.

Please tell us as soon as you’re aware something has happened, or within 12 months of that date.

Remember, your feedback will not affect your current or future care. The details of your complaint or concern are confidential, and are stored separately to your medical records.

Tell us what went wrong

You can submit your complaint in writing or by email to our Patient Relations team

If you can’t submit your complaint in writing, call us on 020 8869 2026 to discuss other options.

Patient Relations Team
Northwick Park Hospital
Watford Road

Remember to include

  • your name
  • contact information
  • NHS number if you know it.
  • What happened and when (use headings, numbered lists or bullet points - ordering the events as they happened will help us investigate your claims)

If you’re complaining on the behalf someone else, please remember to include their details.

What happens next

Once we receive your complaint, we will acknowledge it within three working days. We’ll tell you when we aim to send you our response.

We will then investigate your complaint. Once the investigation is complete, we can either:

  1. Send you a letter outlining our findings
  2. Arrange a meeting with you and the people who are investigating your concerns so you we discuss the outcome together.

Help and support with writing a complaint

If you need help making a complaint, you can contact an advocacy organisation who can help you to be heard.

Firstly, tell us if you’re unhappy with our response. We may reinvestigate your complaint, or review our findings from our investigation. And if we find something new, we’ll let you know.

If you’re still unhappy with our response, you can write to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO).

The PHSO will only consider your complaint once we’ve completed our investigation.