Overseas nurses

Overseas nurses

To work in the UK all nurses, midwives and health visitors must register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). Practitioners have to renew their registration every three years. 

Are you already registered with the NMC?

We welcome applications from nurses who are currently registered with the NMC. Please click on our current vacancies here for more information.

Was your nurse training carried out in the European Economic Area (EEA)?

Nurses who trained in the EEA must meet the standards of the NMC before they can be considered for registration. The NMC will compare the training in your country with that required in the UK. Where there are significant differences between the two, the NMC will detail these and you will be invited to make up the differences either through a period of adaptation or through an aptitude test to demonstrate professional knowledge.

For information on EEA registration, see the NMC website.

Are you applying from outside of the EEA  or already in the UK without an NMC registration?

At London North West Healthcare NHS Trust we facilitate getting valuable nurse training and experience gained in another country recognised in the UK so that nurses who have qualified outside the UK are able to practice here.

At Northwick Park Hospital, we run an in-house Overseas Nursing Programme (ONP) in conjunction with Bucks New University that will enable nurses trained outside of the UK to obtain a NMC registration.  The ONP is a compulsory 20-day period of protected learning, combined with a period of supervised practice. We offer a contract of employment and a salary during the period of study. 

For those trained outside the EU contact NMC overseas registrations for further information and application forms.