Who can refer you to our service?
The department operates an open referral system so referrals can be made by anyone where parental consent has been given. We accept written referrals stating the child’s needs, their date of birth, address, GP and telephone number. The child must be a Harrow resident. Where a therapist does not speak the family's first language, an interpreter will be present to help with assessment, support and advice. Please see our criteria for referrals to our service below:
Pre- school referral critera:
All pre-school childrenwho are registered with a Harrow GP/ or are seen through children’s centre triage where there are identified concerns regarding the development of speech, language or communication skills or eating and drinking problems.
School aged referral critera:
Children and young people from school reception age to school leaving age (18 years or 19 years in special schools) will be accepted for assessment where one or more of the following are present:
1. Speech/language and communication skills (SLC) are a primary area of concern and/or where SLC show a disordered pattern of development.
2. Limited or no means of functional communication,
3. Part of a diagnostic pathway where Autism Spectrum Disorder is being queried.
4. Eating and drinking difficulties where structural/physical/sensory difficulties of organic origin have been identified.
6. Voice problems
7. Acute onset/deterioration of speech/language/communication skills e.g. head injury etc.
Schools will be required to provide the following evidence to support referrals:
- A completed questionnaire in order to provide a detailed profile of the child’s speech, language and communication skills
- Reports from other professionals or checklists (egTeaching Talking/AFASIC); and results from foundation stage assessments/school attainment tests etc, providing information regarding the CYP’s learning and progress across the curriculum
- A reviewed Support Plan or other documentation detailing previous work carried out on specific aspects of speech/language/communication and the CYP’s response to these
- Where English is an additional language, a referral checklist detailing the CYP’s skills in the home language(s). For children who have been exposed to English for 3 years or less, schools are asked to complete and return a screening assessment with the referral.
- Evidence of significant change in CYP’s communication profile or needs for any re-referrals to the service.
Referrals will not be accepted without the above evidence.
All referrals must be in writing and specify parental consent.
Exclusions to referring to our service:
CYP who have English as an additional language, where impairment is evident in one language only.
CYP with specific learning difficulties/Dyslexia, where there are no difficulties with spoken language.
CYP without an education health and care plan attending out of area schools will be offered an assessment only.
Download our referral forms:
Pre-school referral form
Primary - school communication checklist
Primary referral form
Secondary - school communication checklist
Secondary referral form
Referral forms should be sent to:
London North West Healthcare NHS Trust, Paediatric Therapy Services Chaucer Unit - Level 3 Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, HA3 7UJ
Please note: We do not accept email referrals due to confidentiality and data protection. Please send referrals to the above address or fax to 020 8235 4127
Further information about our service:
About our primary mainstream service
About our secondary mainstream service