The Fit4Life programme is a free programme commissioned by Brent Council as an intensive programme of lifestyle intervention. It focuses on improving diet and physical activity levels to help prevent lifestyle diseases such as diabetes, obesity, hypertension and high cholesterol. Its aim is to target those who have been identified at risk through Brent’s NHS health checks programme.
The Fit4Life programme is run by Brent Community Service's Dietitians who are registered and fully trained in motivational interviewing and behaviour change therapy which helps to empower clients to make long-term lifestyle changes.
Participants are referred onto the programme following screening by the GP (NHS health check) that fulfils the following criteria:
- You are aged between 40-74 years
- Tests show that you have either:
- Three months free gym membership to support your lifestyle changes
- Weekly one hour group exercise sessions for twelve weeks
- Weekly one hour and fifteen minute nutrition sessions with a registered dietitian for seven weeks
- Specialised cooking workshops
- Individual appointments with a dietitian
- Follow-up support for a total of eighteen months
The programme is engaging, motivating and an excellent opportunity to improve health and to reduce the risk of chronic disease. The service is inclusive and meets the needs of the diverse community of Brent by offering: