For molecular genetic analysis (including array CGH) please send blood in EDTA anticoagulant.
For cytogenetic analysis, please send blood in lithium heparin anticoagulant.
Children and infants: 1-3ml
Appropriate referrals for genetic testing
- Where there is a reasonable clinical indication (i.e. test result will help in diagnosis, counselling, clinical management or decision making or other medical intervention)
- Diagnostic confirmation or exclusion
- Carrier testing for relatives (and their partners) when there is an established family history of recessive disease
- Pre-symptomatic predictive testing when there is an established family history of adult-onset dominant disease
- Prenatal diagnosis (offered through specialist obstetric and/or genetic counselling services).
- Referral to other UK labs for specialist testing for very rare disorders
- Long term DNA banking for future testing.
Molecular Genetics referral form
Karyotype/FISH and array referral form
Cytogenetic tissue referral form
Haematology referral form
Prenatal referral form
Page updated 03/08/15 ZA