London North West Healthcare NHS Trust is one of three ‘super training hubs’ in London, where a commitment has been made to train increased numbers of health visiting students in order to meet the requirements of the Health Visitor Implementation Plan.
As part of this, the Health Visiting Clinical Academic Hub has been created to develop our health visiting workforce, be a beacon of excellence and the employer of choice where health visitors want to work. The Hub is developing training packages and master classes for health visiting staff at every level, ensuring a clear career pathway. Through effective and collaborative links with universities, and national organisations such as Health Education England, NHS England, Institute of Health Visiting and Queens Nursing Institute the hub will enable health visiting staff to contribute to the development of national policies and standards.
The hub will also be research active, be a pilot site for larger scale research projects and testing innovative practice, and lead the profession through contributing to local and national policy agendas.
In order to drive the transformational work of the hub, two new roles have been developed which were funded by Health Education England and NHS England. Sharin Baldwin leads the work of the hub in her capacity as the Health Visiting Clinical Academic and Innovations Lead, and works in collaboration with Trish Kelly, the Health Visiting Associate Practice Teacher.
The hub will provide:
- Training and development packages – for all staff grade
- Leadership development – for all skill mix staff
- Support mechanisms – restorative supervision, standardised preceptorship and induction processes
- Succession planning and career progression – talent spotting and improving recruitment and retention. A register will be maintained of new and emerging leaders, this will link into ensuring succession planning is assured in all teams
- Developing the ‘grow your own approach’ to health visiting
- Quality improvement and governance - regular research and audits will result in further learning and quality improvements - linking in with R&D team at Northwick Park Hospital
- The hub will also help make our Trust’s health visiting vision a reality:
Our vision: “The health visiting services of Ealing, Brent and Harrow will ensure the delivery of high quality, primary and early intervention health visiting services. In doing so every child and family will be supported to be happy, healthy and well. The health visiting service will be delivered by a team who embrace the best of practice and achieve the best of outcomes for children and families.”
Meet the health visiting hub team
Health Visiting Clinical Academic Hub,
Sudbury Primary Care Centre,
Off Watford Road,
Tel: 020 3114 7200 or 020 3114 7203
You can also find us on Facebook